I don't know if summer is incredibly hot by you this year, but here it's been in the 90s and sticky humid. I used to love hot summer days - the hotter the better, but these days I melt. I get grumpy and just want to laze around eating frozen watermelon and daydreaming about fall. But it's not even August yet, so I need to make the best of it. Here are five things I'm doing to try to remain calm and cool:
- like I mentioned - frozen watermelon. I throw some watermelon in the blender and put it in popsicle molds. Simplest popsicles ever, and they're so good. Veda eats 2 at a time. :)
- cool clothing - I prefer loose, natural fabrics and don't stick to my skin. Linen especially. (Target actually has some simple 100% linen tanks right now.)
- slow yoga - I do yoga every day, but in the summer I slow it down and settle into poses longer. There is also a pranayama practice (breathwork) in yoga called Sitali that's really helpful to cool things down. You look kinda weird while you do it, but it saves me from many a bad mood (mainly because Veda giggles at me while I do it.)
- hydrate - a no brainer. One thing I love is to steep some mint leaves in hot water, let it cool to room temp and drink up. Mint is cooling according to Ayurveda. (Here's a great link to summer wellness if you're unfamiliar with Ayurveda.)
- coconut oil - According to Ayurveda (can you tell I love Ayurvedic principles?) unprocessed coconut oil is cooling - so I use it more often in the summer. I cook with it of course, but I also replace my skin moisturizer with it (yep, I even put it on my face). A little goes a long way and it absorbs pretty quickly. Makes me feel good knowing exactly what's in it too.
I bet most of that is stuff you already do too, yeah? I just try to be conscious of it so I'm intentionally bringing coolness to my days. What are some things you do to stay cool?