the making of a valentine

Happy Valentine's Day! I wanted to show you what we're doing for Veda's valentines exchange with her class tomorrow. Most of her fellow students are boys so we wanted to make something that wasn't overly girly and saccharin sweet (but still kinda cute). For a quick idea I popped onto Pinterest and found these pirate valentines which were totally usable as-is, but my printer stinks. So we decided to make our own.

Penelope Dullaghan - Valentines 2013

First came the sketch (designed to fit perfectly on the ink pad so we didn't have to use paint like last year.... which worked but was just a little more messy and time-consuming. Ink pads work better for short attention spans. :)

Penelope Dullaghan - Valentines 2013

Then we transfered that onto our unmounted, easy-to-cut linoleum and cut out the white areas.

Penelope Dullaghan - Valentines 2013

The paper is just Matstack . (Easy because they are a uniform size.) So we inked up and put down our initial stamp.

Penelope Dullaghan - Valentines 2013

Lastly, we stuck on a felted heart for an eye patch, cut slits to attach teeth-friendly lollipops and Veda signed the back.

Penelope Dullaghan - Valentines 2013

Took about an hour or so total. I hope her classmates like them. :)